GUJARATI HANDVO RECIPE
Handvo is a spicy Gujarati cushion cake dish that made up of types of lentils and rice along with Indian spices.
Ingredients for HANDVO:
- Regular Rice: 4 cup
- Split chickpeas gram(chana dal): 2 cup
- Split black gram(urad dal): 1 cup
- Lentils(tuvar dal): 0.5 cup
- Curd: 1 cup very tangy
- Semolina: 2 tablespoon
- Oil: 1 tablespoon
- Mustard seeds: 1 teaspoon
- Cumin seeds: 1 teaspoon
- Curry leaves: 5-6
- Sesame seeds: 1 teaspoon
- Ginger: 1 inch grated
- Green chili: 2-3 finely chopped
- Turmeric powder: 1 teaspoon
- Red chili powder: 2 teaspoon
- Asafetida: a pinch
- Salt to taste
- Eno: 1 packet normal flavor
- Sugar: 1 teaspoon
How to make HANDVO:
- Firstly, combine all the rice, split chickpeas gram, split black gram, and lentils.
- Wash them very well and soak them in water for overnight.
- After that drain them well and roughly crush into the grinding jar with semolina, tangy curd, and water if needed.
- Make sure that the batter of handvo is quite coarsely, transfer the batter into the deep bowl and keep the bowl aside for fermentation.
- After 6-8 hours, the handvo batter is fermented as well.
- Add all the chopped green chili, grated ginger paste, turmeric powder, red chili powder, sugar, and salt to taste, mix gently.
- Now, heat up a heavy bottom pan, add some oil.
- Once the oil is hot enough add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, sesame seeds, curry leaves, and a pinch of asafetida.
- Pour the handvo batter as per you want the thickness, cover the pan with a lid.
- Keep the flame low and cook it for 20 minutes.
- After that check, once the handvo base is cooked flip it over and cook another side for 5 minutes.
- Finally, the crispy handvo is ready.
- Serve hot with the tomato catchup or tea.