is a very popular south Indian food, a thin and crispy masala dosa is made from rice and dal batter and is a very famous dish in India
Prep. Time: 8 hours.
Cook Time: 30 min.
Ingredients for Masala Dosa:
- For dosa batter
- Rice (Parboiled rice): 300gram
- Urad dal (black gram): 100gram
- Chana dal (split Bengal gram): 2tbsp
- Fenugreek seeds: ½ tbsp.
- Water to soak dal & rice: 4-5 cup
- Salt as required
- Flattened rice: 2tbsp (optional)
- For potato masala
- Oil: 2tbsp
- Mustard seeds: ½ tsp
- Ginger: 1inch finely chopped
- Curry leaves: 5-7
- Green chili: 2 finely chopped
- Asafetida: a pinch
- Potato: 3medium size
- Onion: 2 (sliced)
- Turmeric powder: ½ tsp
- Red chili powder: ½ tsp
- Salt and water as required
- Coriander leaves: 3-4 tbsp chopped
How to Prepare Masala Dosa:
- Soaking Dal and Rice
- Take all the rice and types of dals in a deep bowl, and take the Fenugreek seeds in another bowl.
- Rains all the ingredients twice, and soak them with water as required for 6-8 hour and keep aside.
- Strain the water from the soaked rice and dals and keep it for grinding.
- Grind all the dals and Fenugreek seeds till get a smooth and fluffy batter, Remove the batter in another bowl.
- Strain the rice and grind well with required water, you can grind rice one or two parts it will depend on your grinder jar, Grind the rice till get a fine thick consistency in it,
- Now combine both the batter and mix well, Add salt as per taste, mix salt well and mix the batter well,
- Now keep aside for ferment for 7-8 hour depends on temperature conditions, If in winter keep the batter in a hot corner or in a sunlight, and if in summer just keep in sunlight for 3-5 hours,
- Making potato masala for dosa
- Rains and boil the potatoes in 2 cups of water for 3 whistles in a pressure cooker, When the potatoes are cooked, drain the potatoes and keep aside let it be cool, then pill and chop them in small pieces.
- Now also slice the onions, chop the green chili, ginger and coriander leaves.
- Heat the oil or ghee on low flame and add mustard seeds and let them crackle, Now, add the onion sliced, green chili, curry leaves and ginger.
- Saute the onions till they became golden, Add turmeric powder, asafetida, chili powder and salt to taste, mix well.
- Simmer on low flame for 2 minutes stirring occasionally, turn off the flame, Garnish potato masala with chopped coriander leaves.
- Making Masala Dosa
- Heat the non-stick pan, it should be medium hot, Keep the flame to low while spreading the dosa batter, spread the batter in a circular way on the pan.
- Cook a dosa on medium flame, sprinkle some oil on top or a circular sides.
- Cook the dosa till it becomes crisp, Place a portion of the potato masala on the dosa and fold the dosa,
- Now serve the hot masala dosa with sambar and coconut chutney.